Saturday, December 22, 2007

pantheism

Mood: Pensive
Listening to Kimi no Vanilla - Buck-Tick
Playing Popomundo o.o
Drinking nothing, but I'm way thirsty. DX


I asked a question about my pantheistic beliefs on Yahoo Answers today, because it was something that was bugging me about Paganism and Wicca. Before I went too far into them, I wanted to know if it was the right thing. So I asked. The question's still open, but already I've gotten good answers. My question:

Pagans: Pantheism - Where Do I Belong?
I'm beginning to embrace Paganism (not sure about Wicca because I'm not educated enough about it) but a lot of the traditions and beliefs confuse me. I feel like I'll never find a place, even though I feel that I'm on the right road. I'd rather not go too far until I have a few key things sorted out.

One of the things that makes me think is the concept of God and Goddess, though I feel like Goddess is emphasized (which I don't agree with). I personally believe that the divine/deity/universal spirit (what have you) is in everything, everyone, all throughout the universe...and has no true gender. Well, more of an androgynous figure, really, both male and female. Does that make me something other than Pagan, and does that mean I'll have to turn back and keep searching for another path? Or is this 'valid'?


Someone gave me a link to a site on Scientific Pantheism, and it seems to embody that God aspect of my beliefs (which I'm sure is most important, haha). Really, read it all. It's very interesting. I don't know if that's all I believe, but it's the first thing I've connected with PERFECTLY, not just very strongly. Even if it means I'm not Pagan (I don't think I was ever fully Wiccan, but Pagan was a definite answer), it's enlightening. I don't know what I am, but I'm not going to be frustrated about it. Just going to keep exploring and see what works for me, whether I'm Pagan or Scientific Pantheist, or Pagan AND Pantheist. A lot of pantheistic beliefs seem to be the same as Pagan ones, so I don't know. We'll see. I'll see. o.o

Edit: Searching further on the World Pantheism site, there are lots of Pagan beliefs and customs included, among other pantheistic religions. I think I'm all right with calling myself a Pagan Pantheist. XD I feel like this is IT. It's exciting. ^^

The thing is, too: it's not like I changed my belief or anything, but it's finally got a name, and one that's okay to use (not wrong, not mistaken, etc.). Names are very powerful things...and it's wonderful. I'm very happy. <3 Reading this, I'm really comforted (taken from the FAQ page):

What is the relationship between paganism and pantheism?
There are many points in common between paganism and Pantheism. Most pagans say they are pantheists. They too revere Nature and the Universe and regard them as in some sense unified wholes. They too celebrate solstices, equinoxes and other natural passages. They too have a strong environmental ethic and a deep love of nature.

Many pagans are straight pantheists, using polytheism as a metaphoric way of expressing their reverence for the Universe and Nature. Some people feel the need for symbols and personages to mediate their relationship with nature and the cosmos. There is no harm in this, as long as the symbols help us to connect to Reality and do not block or distort our view of Reality.

Pantheists can also relate directly to the universe and to nature, without the need for any intermediary symbols or deities. The cosmos manifests itself directly to us in nature and the night sky.

However, many pagans are literal polytheists, and believe in magic, reincarnation, and the irrational. Modern pantheists are not polytheists, and do not believe in magic, or disembodied spirits. Most of them do not believe in a personal afterlife, whether through reincarnation or transport to any kind of non-material "heaven."

If by the irrational, people mean a strongly emotional and aesthetic approach to nature and the universe, then we support it just as strongly as any pagan. But we see no conflict in principle between this and science, reason or logic. The findings of science have often been abused to harm nature and humans, but to correct the harm we need better, more ethical science and better public control over science and technology - not an abandonment of science. Without science we would have no hope of saving the earth, and no hope of understanding the universe we live in.

However, if the irrational means abandonment of science, reason and logic, then pantheists reject it. Once these are abandoned, all beliefs are equally valid - including racism, fascism and the wildest superstitions.

No comments: